Friday, 15 February 2013

aggregate values,return of the test and what not...

     Hey'all. We got our test back this week. I had the impression that we will recieve our term tests on friday in tutorials. I was not expecting to see my mark so soon. Although, I did not do as well as I was hoping I would , the mark I received was considerably satisfactory. I should have put more effort into the last question. I still do not understand how it takes eleven average linear operations to find the desired word in a dictionary containing 2048 sheets. On the other hand, the binary operations I calculated by doubling the amount of initial binary operations performed in 1024 sheets turned out to be accurate. I am not sure if we were supposed to use a different technique or I probably missed a key fact  in the concept addressed about linear and binary searches.

    This week we have also learned about aggregate values. I find the 'list' function very useful, it is almost like arrays, where it saves you time by declaring everything in one list, rather than declaring variables, images,strings, etc numerous times in the program code. If you declare a variable and assign a list to that variable,there are alot of functions which we have previously learned that could be combined and attributed in the code to acquire an interesting result. Additionally, it is very useful if you wish to perform similar arthmitic operations on all the range of numbers in the list. Defining structures and the mapping function take the program to a next level. We also learned about altering colours in an image on tuesday. I found that very fascinating and would like to try and see if I could use those functions to manipulate an image into something interesting. I am looking forward to the rest of the racket videos, as it is getting interesting and on the same token, the level of difficulty is also gradually arising. Happy reading week!!!

4 comments:

  1. If it took 10 steps to find the page in a 1024-sheet dictionary, then with a 2048-sheet dictionary you take one extra step to split the stack of sheets in half, then you're back where you're started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHH that makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to post another video on how to manipulate colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great. I am looking forward to the video.

      Delete